Mobile gaming single-handedly overtook console and PC gaming. We could positively say that most of the world’s population is turning into gamers, irrespective of their age. Mobile phones made gaming more accessible — allowing you to play your favorite games anywhere anytime.
With advanced technologies and improved hardware infrastructure, mobile gaming is getting more sophisticated day by day. Also with cloud gaming, you can download and play AAA games without having to worry about mobile storage capacity.
The recent growth in the mobile gaming industry is attracting big game developers and investors towards mobile game development. If you have a game idea, it is high time for you to make it into reality.
We have given some of the useful trends and challenges in mobile game development in 2023. Let’s get started here.
Mobile Game Development Trends in 2023
- Hyper Casual Games
Hyper Casual games are lightweight and easy to play games. Many mobile game developers show interest in developing hyper casual games, as they are highly profitable. Unlike other video games, hyper-casual games do not require a large team and months of game development time.
As most mobile game developers run on a limited budget, they prefer to make hyper casual games, as they can be made with limited resources and less amount of time. These mobile game development companies use various revenue strategies like in-app ads, freemium models, etc., to generate huge revenue.
When you open the mobile app store you can find thousands of hyper-casual games that can be downloaded for free. These games are even played as mini-games in other big games.
Moreover, many people around the world prefer to play hyper casual games in their spare time leading to the increased demand for hyper casual games now more than ever.
- Cross-platform Functionality
The cross-platform function enables you to play games on multiple platforms including tablets, consoles, and PCs at the same time. Most of the multiplayer mobile games come with this functionality. So that you can enjoy playing multiplayer games with your friends despite everyone using different devices to play.
Even the previously released game franchises are optimizing their game for cross-platform functionality to reach a wide group of audience. In the coming days, almost all the games will come with cross-platform functioning.
“Metaverse is an interactive 3D virtual space where people come to play, interact, and hang out gaining engaging and immersive experiences. It is also considered the next phase extension of the Internet.”
Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox are some of the popular metaverse games. Metaverse mobile games help enhance social interaction and offer an immersive gaming experience to the players. They even enhance the player experience with the integration of reality techs (like AR, VR, MR) and haptic devices including gloves and body suites.
Many established game development companies are making their games in the metaverse. Moreover, big technological brands are betting on the digital future in the metaverse and investing in improving the metaverse experiences.
- AI and Big Data
A mobile game development company uses AI and big data to analyze player behavior, understand their interests, and make games to the player’s liking. They also use AI technology for playing solo matches with the players.
Moreover, AI is also used in the mobile game development process including sound effects, visual effects, and anti-cheat mechanisms.
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
Blockchain is revolutionizing the gaming industry by offering a decentralized system promoting better engagement and player interaction. Implementing blockchain technology in video games is a bit more hard and costly. You might also need to hire a dedicated blockchain game development agency to build blockchain technology.
And if you need to integrate cryptocurrency, it is essential to build a blockchain wallet in your game. Despite that, Blockchain is also crucial for metaverse game development. In the future, it is expected to promote interactive gaming by implementing innovative technologies in mobile games.
- Cloud Gaming
Cloud gaming is the most popular trend in mobile gaming at the moment. It enables players to play AAA games without having to download them on the device. Before the introduction of cloud gaming, gamers needed dedicated gaming consoles or PCs to play AAA games — as these games needed large storage space.
Furthermore, popular gaming companies including Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are offering cloud gaming services to reach a larger audience.
We have seen some of the most popular trends in mobile game development. Though there are many advantages to mobile gaming, there are certain challenges in mobile game development. Let us discuss them below.
Challenges in Mobile Game Development
The challenges faced in mobile game development include
- Platform Compatibility: Building a game that is compatible with all Android devices and iOS models is a huge challenge that game developers face while building a mobile game. Because, the code that is compatible for Samsung devices might not be compatible for Apple phones.
- Security Concerns: As many mobile games collect user data, it is necessary for mobile games to ensure privacy of the shared data. Also, nowadays many people are interested in playing easy money games like rummy, poker, etc., — where it is important for the game development company to ensure secure transactions.
- Reaching the Right Audience: Play Stores are filled with many similar games and players might not even notice your game. You need to make sure your game is reaching the right audience.
- Player Retention: Another one important challenge is player retention. You need to make sure the game is enjoyable at every level. Or if the player feels a bit bored they might move to another game which offers interesting gameplay.
- Post-Launch Testing: Testing a game for bugs or technical issues post-launch and content update is a huge challenge mobile game developers face. As there are multiple mobile gaming platforms, it is hard to conduct testing and update content that is compatible for every platform.
Mobile gaming has a robust scope for development. As more innovative technologies are being implemented in mobile games, we can surely tell that mobile games will be more engaging and immersive in the future. If the game developers were able to overcome the pertaining challenges, then the mobile gaming sector will be one of the most successful in the whole entertainment industry.