Data stories were not evident in the newsrooms a few years back. With the advancement of technology in journalistic tools and methods, Data journalism gradually began to expand. Data journalism is escalating worldwide and constantly hitting the world with exciting narratives.
Journalists and leading news publication portals such as the New York Times and The Guardians are experimenting with the sheer amount of data available and spreading the shock waves by featuring data-driven stories. Imagining news stories without compelling infographics and data interactives is strenuous in the digital realm.
In March 2019, The Guardian launched the Data Blogs to promote investigative journalism and data visualisation. Data journalists put their lives at stake to unfold the wrongdoings surrounding the world. Whether finding or investigating data on corruption or the killing of journalists, data tells stories that cannot be elaborated via words.
The data report published on Statista about the global assassination of journalists reveals that 57 journalists were killed worldwide from 1995 to 2022.
Data journalism is a cutting-edge field, inspiring many young students to dive into the world of storytelling using different types of data and graphics. As a data journalism student, keep reading the article if you are assigned an assignment on data journalism. This piece of writing offers outstanding tips on writing an A+ journalism project. Structuring your assignment on data journalism will be a piece of cake with the right approach and guidance.
However, are you struggling with writer’s block or a creative slowdown? Writing data journalism assignments can be problematic for you. No issue; you can share your workload by buying premium quality assignment writing services online. The Academic Papers UK delivers first-rate assistance to their clients. They have onboarded seasoned data journalism assignment writers to help you write high-quality projects from scratch. You can 100% rely on them.
Data Meets Journalism – What is Data Journalism?
Data journalism, also known as data-driven journalism, is based on crafting news stories by analysing and filtering many data sets. Data journalism reflects storytelling based on captivating graphics and digital visualisation tools. Different scholars defined data journalism differently:
- According to Fink & Anderson, data journalism is “a deeply contested and simultaneously diffuse term.”
- Appelgren & Nygren defined this term as “an emerging form of storytelling where traditional journalistic working methods are mixed with data analysis, programming, and visualisation techniques.”
Topics To Keep In Mind for Data Journalism Assignments
There needs to be more than just understanding data and data tools to jump into writing assignments directly. Spend time to assess the power and significance of visual stories and data visualisation tools in data journalism projects.
More importantly, break your ideas surrounding your topic and develop a data story from raw statistics to put your heart and soul into it.
Consider the following compelling topics for data journalism assignments:
- Investigate rates of crime and law enforcement policies.
- Examine educational disparities among different demographics.
- Employ applicable sets of data to visualise the effect of climate change.
- Compare technological adoption with indicators of socioeconomic status.
Top 10 Tips on How to Write Excellent Data Journalism Assignments
A student’s life comes with its share of challenges. One of the primary challenges is writing and submitting extensive assignments on strict deadlines. With proper counselling and method writing, you can lead with any task.
Look into the top 10 suggestions to help you understand the process and strategies to write data-driven papers effectively:
1. Evaluate the Depth of Your Topic
First and foremost, your instructor will provide you with a list of reading tasks to help you gain knowledge about possible topics. When it comes to the selection of topics for data journalism assignments, don’t rush and choose them wisely.
- Make sure to choose a relevant and current topic and unload exploration possibilities.
- Figure out that your chosen topic contains a significant amount of data, allowing for ample opportunities for research and visualisation.
2. Gather Accurate Data
Before writing an assignment, you need to grasp the significance of data accuracy and reliability.
- Identify reputable sources to collect data that is unbiased.
- Ensure that the data you refer to in your writing of your data journalism assignment is the latest.
- Rely on multiple sources to cover any limitations in addressing your assignment topic.
3. Articulate your Understanding of Assignment
One of the primary tasks of writing an excellent assignment in data journalism is to capture the main issue or idea you want to present. To hook the reader and reflect on the importance of your journalism assignment:
- Precisely describe what you’ve selected holds significance and calls for analysis.
- Explain the potential significance of what you discovered and why readers should be mindful of the concerns brought up in the task at hand.
4. Create Engaging Narrative and Context
It’s time to convert the data you have into a visual story. Pay attention to identifying intriguing and appropriate storytelling within the data. Data journalism involves telling a narrative that reverberates with those who read it rather than simply showcasing the amount of data.
- Determine trends, deviations, or structures that can be the foundation for a compelling narrative in your data journalism assignment.
- Also, discuss the context of your topic, the significance of the data, and any past or social variables that could impact the patterns you’ve established.
5. Determine Your Writing Approach
Your writing approach should be well-designed and well-structured according to the preference of your assignment. It should be influenced by how you want to tell your data stories engagingly. A clearly defined approach means your data-driven assignment is easy to interpret and does not experience any hurdles while reading it.
6. Insert Multimedia Elements
The era of static and dull assignments is long gone. You must use the visual elements to make your project worthy of competition. You can add data visualisation elements, such as charts, maps, graphs, and images, to transform your data journalism assignment.
Combining text and visuals creates an irresistible impact. Consider using these elements to hone your assignment writing skills.
7. Avoid Using Jargon
Acing your assignment skills is relatively easy to achieve. Data journalism assignment writing calls for quality writing and news sense from journalism students.
- Enlighten your story clearly and concisely.
- Avoid using irrelevant jargon to make your academic project more digestible and consumer-friendly.
- Put your best in the task, but don’t put too much data.
8. Indicate Your Sources
It is natural for students to consult books and online resources to gain various perspectives. Data journalism projects are an appetite for research and research. There is no disagreement on this.
However, as a student, you must adequately attribute your reference material in the assignment. Citing sources will help you prevent unnecessary plagiarism. Additionally, it will give the impression to your instructor that you researched before writing.
9. Revise, Recheck, and Re-Edit
Don’t rush to submit your final data journalism assignments. The foundation of excellent writing skills is constant proofreading before handing over your projects. Take a short break.
Read your assignments aloud. It will help you find out the inaccuracies in the write-up. Your whole effort can turn into a bag of dust if you don’t want to go down the editing path.
10. Don’t Linger Away and Seek Help
Suppose you are facing any obstacles or are stuck at some point in your assignment on data journalism. Hold on, and don’t drift away. Hold on to your potential guides and mentors. Stay in contact with your project supervisors to seek advice. You can ask your fellow students to address your queries. Take advantage of their knowledge to inspire you. It will polish your skills in data journalism assignment writing.
If you are a data journalism student and still need help with your subject assignments. We aim to address these issues and provide students with outstanding assignment writing guides to produce top-level assignments on data journalism. Following these tips can help you write assignments with A+ grading assured.
Do you need help with busy schedules and stiff deadlines? If you still need clarification with your assignment requirements, hire a professional and seasoned data journalism assignment writer. Academic Papers UK provides the best assignment writing services; we suggest you employ their native British writers to fulfil your tasks.